A fridge water filter is an important part of modern refrigeration. Since many people get their drinking water and ice from their refrigerators, this element of the refrigeration system is perhaps the most pertinent for your health.
But like all other filters, your fridge filter will need to be replaced every 3-6 months or as recommended by the manufacturer.
If this is news to you, read this post on how to change your fridge water filter, where you’ll find general information on this process as well as specific instructions for 17 different models.
While the exact process for changing your fridge water filter will vary depending on the model, in general, the process will look something like this:
- Locate the water filter in your fridge.
- Turn off the ice maker
- Remove the filter by twisting or pushing it until you hear a click or find it giving way.
- Install the new filter using the inverse of the process you used to remove the old one.
- Turn on the ice maker and run the water disposal system, dumping the first gallon or so of water it produces into the sink.
For more information on how to change your fridge water filter, read the article below.
How to change your fridge water filter
Your fridge water filter should be changed out every 3-6 months depending on the frequency of usage. If you fail to do so, you may find that sediment and chlorine levels in the water that you’re drinking become elevated as the carbon filter begins to lose its effectiveness.
Additionally, the carbon inside the filter could begin growing bacteria if left unchanged over long periods of time. For these reasons, it’s essential that you change the filter every so often. Many modern refrigerators will have a digital indicator to let you know when your filter needs to be replaced. Be sure to look for this warning indicator.
The first step when changing your fridge’s water filter is to actually locate the filter. Many filters are located inside the grille at the base of your refrigerator, or they could be placed in one of the upper corners of the fridge.
Once you’ve located the filter you can identify it and locate a replacement filter online or in your local big-box home improvement store. Once you’ve purchased a replacement filter you simply remove the old one and fit the new one into place.
Most fridge water filters can be removed and installed using a very basic twisting or locking mechanism. The exact method of removal and installation depends on the make and model of your refrigerator.
Instructions for locating and replacing the fridge water filter for 17 different brands
Below you will find specific instructions for various makes and models of refrigerator water filters. Scroll through the list below to find the set of instructions that applies to your fridge at home.
Locating and Changing a Frigidaire Fridge Water Filter
Follow these steps to replace it:
- Turn off the ice maker
- Remove the old filter by pushing it inside until it clicks
- After it clicks, the filter should pop, pull it out, and discard it
- Take the new filter, align the ridge facing up, and push on it until it clicks in place
- Flush the system with three gallons of water
Some Frigidaire fridges employ the twist and pull filter. If that’s the case, the filter should be located on the top right-hand side. Once you locate it, just twist anticlockwise and pull the old filter out. You can then insert the new filter by pushing it in and twisting it clockwise to lock it in place.
Be sure that the filter is secured to avoid a water filter leak.
Locating and Changing Samsung Fridge Water Filter
For a French door and Four flex model, the filter should be between the fresh food drawers on the door. The Samsung side-by-side has its filter at the bottom drawer on the right-hand side.
To remove the old filter, follow these steps:
- Rotate the knob 45° counter-clockwise to release and pull it out
- Place the new filter in and turn the knob 45° clockwise
- Indicate when to replace the next
- Discard a gallon of water to prime the filter
To reset the indicator, press the crushed ice button for about three seconds.
Locating and Changing a Whirlpool Fridge Water Filter
There are four different Whirlpool fridge models with different filters. We will cover how to change all of these filters and where they are located. It is important to know the type of filter the fridge uses. Check the old one and get a similar but new filter.
- The EDR1RXD1 and WHR2RXD1 filters should be located in the upper corner on the right-hand side or in the grille. Installation for the two is similar. After locating the compartment, lift the door, swing the filter out, and pull to release. Slide in the new filter arrow pointing forward to lock it in place. Close the compartment’s door by pressing it until it snaps into position. Flush the filter by running a gallon of water.
- If the fridge has the WHR4RXD1 filter, it should be on the base of the fridgeâ€™s grille on the left-hand side. Press the eject button to discard the old filter. Align the filter cap and rotate it clockwise until it locks. Insert the filter arrow facing left and push until the eject button reappears. Flush the new filter with a gallon of water.
- The EDR4RXD1 filter should be at the top of the right-hand corner of the fridge. Open the tap to access the old filter, twist it anticlockwise, and pull. New fridges always come with a cap; twist the cap anti-clockwise and pull to remove. Insert the new filter, twist it clockwise, and push to lock. Flush the filter and enjoy filtered water.
Locating and Changing an LG Fridge Water Filter
The location of the water filter in your LG refrigerator varies with the model. If it is located on the top left, open the lid, swing the filter out, and twist anticlockwise to release. If it is on the back left, twist it anticlockwise to release. For the filters on the left door, swing the filter out and turn anti-clockwise to release.
For the filter on the top left, align the new filter in the slot, turn clockwise, and swing it back. If the filter is on the back left, push the new filter in the slot and turn clockwise to lock it into place. For the filter on the left door, slide the new one in the slot, and turn it clockwise until it locks into place. Swing it back into the compartment and flush the filter with a gallon of water.
Locating and Changing a Kenmore Fridge Water Filter
The filter on a Kenmore fridge should be in the top left corner. Here are the steps to follow when changing the filter:
- Turn the filter knob counter-clockwise and remove the old filter
- Align the new filter arrow upward and slide it into place
- Turn the filter clockwise until it locks
- Reset the indicator by pressing the reset button for about three seconds.
It is always good to prime the filter for a few minutes.
Locating and Changing a Fisher Paykel Fridge Water Filter
The Paykel Fridge Water filter should be on the exterior. Follow the steps below to change it.
- Remove the old filter by twisting it counter-clockwise
- Take the new filter and align it to the socket
- Turn it clockwise to lock it into place.
If the fridge has an LCD, press and hold the Lock and Right arrow at the same time for 4 seconds to reset the indicator. If the fridge does not have an LCD, reset the filter by pressing the Warmer and Alarm Mute buttons at the same time.
Locating and Changing Amana Fridge Water Filter
For Amana fridges, the filter should be on the upper right-hand corner of the base grille. Here are the steps to follow when replacing it.
- Open the compartment’s door
- As the door opens, the filter should slide out of the housing
- Remove and discard the old filter
- Remove the cap on the new filter and make sure the black rings are intact
- Slide it into the housing. As it goes in, the door should close
- Apply some pressure on the door until it snaps in place
- Flush the system with two to three gallons of water
Locating and Changing GE Fridge Water Filter
For an MWF filter, it should be on the top right-hand side inside the fridge. Follow the steps below to replace it.
- Turn the filter anti-clockwise to release.
- Align the new filter in the slot and turn it clockwise until it locks into place.
- Flush the system by discarding the first two gallons of water
For the RPWFE filter, check the top left corner and then follow the steps below to replace it.
- Open the cover lid to access the filter
- Swing it forward and twist anti-clockwise to release
- Slide the new filter in the slot, twist it clockwise, and swing it back into the compartment
- Close the lid by pressing it till it snaps into place.
- Flush the system by discarding the first two gallons of water.
Locating and Changing a GE refrigerator with a Keurig Fridge Water Filter
GE has refrigerators that have Keurig built-in. You will find the Keurig water filter on the upper left-hand side. Here are the steps to follow to change the filter:
- After locating the filter compartment, open it by pressing with a thumb
- Pull the old filter forward and pull it out to release. Be gentle not to damage the filter slot
- Take the new filter and line it up. The filter is always labeled. Make sure the front does not go to the back
- Place the filter in the slot and push until it clicks into place
- Dispose of the first gallon of water
Locating and Changing an Electrolux Fridge Water Filter
For an Electrolux fridge, the filter should be located at the top left corner of the inside of the fridge. To replace it, follow the steps outlined below:
- On the control panel inside the fridge, press the water and ice button to turn it off
- Twist the water filter knob anticlockwise to release it
- Insert the new filter and turn it clockwise to lock it in place
- Allow the system to flush for two to three minutes and discard the water
Locating and Changing a Jennair Fridge Water Filter
The Jennair fridge water filter should be located on the top right-hand side in the interior of the fridge. Follow these steps to replace it.
- Open the hatch to access the old filter
- Swing it out and twist anti-clockwise to release it
- Insert the new filter, twist it clockwise, and swing it back into the hatch
- Discard about two gallons of water to prime the filter
Locating and Changing KitchenAid Superba Fridge Filter
The KitchenAid Superba fridge model has a filter on the front base grille. Here is how to go about changing the filter:
- Twist the cartridge cap anti-clockwise and pull out the filter
- Donâ€™t worry about the excess water flowing out; it is normal
- Take the cap on the old filter and discard and install it on the new filter
- Insert the new filter in the housing and twist clockwise to lock the filter in place
- Prime the filter by running water through the system and discard the first three gallons
Locating and Changing a Thermador Fridge Water Filter
The Thermador fridge water filter should be at the bottom left. Here is a step-by-step guide on how to replace it.
- Twist the cartridge cap anticlockwise and pull out the filter. It is normal for excess water to flow out
- Remove the cap and discard the old filter
- Place the cap on the new filter and slide it into the housing
- Twist the cap clockwise to lock it
- Refer to the usage instructions and reset the indicator as guided.
- flush the filter with approximately 3 gallons of water
Locating and Changing a Viking Fridge Water Filter
For a Viking fridge, the filter is located in the upper right-hand corner. Here are the instructions to follow when replacing it.
- Open the hatch and swing the old filter forward
- Twist the filter left to release it
- Discard the old filter and slide in the new one
- Twist right until it locks in place
- Swing the filter back into the hatch and close the lid
- Prime the filter with two gallons of water
Locating and Changing a Maytag Fridge Water Filter
For a Maytag fridge, the filter should be located on the upper right-hand side in the interior of the fridge. Follow the following steps to replace it.
- Open the filter cover door and swing the old filter forward
- Twist the filter anti-clockwise to release the filter
- Unwrap the new filter and make sure the black ring is intact
- Insert the filter in the slot, making sure the ridges fall in place, and twist clockwise to lock it in place
- Swing the filter back in and close the lid.
- Once done, flush the new filter with three gallons of water
Locating and Changing a Subzero Fridge Water Filter
For a Subzero fridge, locate the water filter by opening the lid on the upper grille. Pull and lift the lid to access the filter. It should be on the left-hand side. Once you locate it, follow the steps below to replace it.
- Twist the cartridge anti-clockwise to release and discard the old filter.
- Unwrap the new filter and take off the protective cap.
- Make sure the rubber gasket is still intact before installing.
- Slide the new filter into the slot and twist it clockwise until it stops twisting.
- Discard the first three gallons of water and the first batch of ice. Remember to reset the filter indicator on the fridge.
Locating and Changing a Haier Fridge Water Filter
A Haier fridge has its water filter on the top right corner of the interior. Here is how to replace it.
- Open the filter cover and rotate the cartridge anticlockwise to release it.
- Remove the protective cap and align the filter in the slot. Make sure the ridges fall in place and twist clockwise until it locks in place.
- Close the cover and prime the filter with three gallons of water. Reset the filter indicator as per the usage.
Summary of how to change your fridge water filter
In conclusion, if you were wondering how to change your fridge water filter, we hope the information above has satisfied your curiosity.
Always remember to replace the water filter in the fridge every three to six months or as soon as the indicator goes off. If you do not replace it in good time, the filter might contaminate your water as well as affect the efficiency of your fridge.
Refer to the list above to locate the specified installation instructions for your particular refrigerator.
how to change your fridge water filter
First, locate the filter. Second, obtain a replacement filter. Third, remove the old filter. Finally, install the new one. Each type of refrigerator will involve various other steps in this basic process.
What skills do I need to replace refrigerator water filter?
This replacement job is a very low-skill task. You actually don’t need any skills to learn how to change your fridge water filter. Simply purchase a new filter, remove the old one, and install the new one by hand.
How long does it take to change the water filter in a fridge?
Once you have all of the materials, it only takes a couple of seconds to replace the refrigerator water filter.
Let Us Know How We’re Doing!
Did this expertly prepared resource answer your question?
Do you have another question about home maintenance, home improvement projects, home appliance repair, or something else?