Small shared bedrooms can be a challenge when it comes to creating a functional and comfortable space. Every square inch counts, and the key to maximizing that space is choosing the right furniture.
Space-saving furniture is designed to be multi-functional, transformable, and efficient at utilizing every part of the room. In this blog post, we’ll explore 10 innovative furniture ideas that not only save space but also add style and versatility to small shared bedrooms.
These ideas are perfect for homeowners looking to enhance their living space without compromising on comfort or functionality.
1. Murphy Beds
How It Saves Space: Murphy beds, also known as wall beds, are the quintessential space-saving solution for any small room. When not in use, they can be folded up into a wall cabinet, leaving ample space for other activities. This is particularly useful in a shared bedroom where floor space is precious.
Estimated Cost: The price of a Murphy bed can range from $1,000 to $3,500. The cost varies based on the size, materials, and whether it comes with additional features like built-in shelves or desks.
- To ensure safety and functionality, have your Murphy bed installed by a professional.
- Consider a Murphy bed design that incorporates shelving or a fold-down desk to get even more utility out of the unit.
- If you’re handy, there are Murphy bed DIY kits available that can help reduce costs.
2. Loft Beds
How It Saves Space: Loft beds elevate the sleeping area off the floor, which can be a game-changer in a shared bedroom. The space beneath can serve multiple purposes: a workstation, a lounge area, or additional storage.
Estimated Cost: A basic loft bed can start at $200, with higher-end models with more features or sturdier construction reaching up to $1,000.
- Ensure there’s enough ceiling height to accommodate a loft bed comfortably without making the sleeping area feel cramped.
- Look for loft beds with integrated features like desks, drawers, or shelving to get the most out of the space.
- Always prioritize safety by choosing a bed with sturdy construction and full-length guardrails.
3. Convertible Sofa Beds
How It Saves Space: Convertible sofa beds are perfect for shared bedrooms that need to double as a living space. They provide seating during the day and easily convert into a bed at night, eliminating the need for a dedicated bed that takes up space all the time.
Estimated Cost: Prices for sofa beds vary widely, from as low as $150 for a simple futon-style option to $2,000 for a high-end model with a thick mattress and durable frame.
- Test the conversion mechanism in-store to make sure it’s easy to operate.
- Opt for a sofa bed with a firm, supportive mattress to ensure comfort for both sitting and sleeping.
- Consider the overall dimensions of the sofa bed when it’s unfolded to ensure it fits comfortably in the room without obstructing pathways.
4. Folding Desks
How It Saves Space: A folding desk is a perfect addition to a small shared bedroom, especially when the room serves as a study or work area. It can be mounted to the wall and folded down when needed, then tucked away to free up space for other activities.
Estimated Cost: Folding desks are generally affordable, with prices ranging from $50 to $200, depending on the size, material, and design complexity.
- Choose a wall-mounted folding desk that includes additional features like small storage compartments or a pinboard for notes and reminders.
- Install the desk at a height that is ergonomic for the users, typically 28 to 30 inches from the floor to the underside of the desk.
- Reinforce the wall if necessary to ensure it can support the weight of the desk and any equipment that will be placed on it, like computers or books.
5. Wall-Mounted Shelves
How It Saves Space: Wall-mounted shelves take advantage of vertical space, which is often underutilized in small bedrooms. They provide a place to store and display items without consuming valuable floor area.
Estimated Cost: The cost for wall-mounted shelves can start as low as $20 for simple, single shelves and can go up to $200 for more elaborate systems with multiple tiers.
- Use wall-mounted shelves to keep books, photos, and personal items off the floor and organized.
- Install shelves at different heights to accommodate items of various sizes and create a visually interesting display.
- Consider floating shelves for a sleek, minimalist look that doesn’t require visible brackets or supports.
6. Under-Bed Storage
How It Saves Space: Under-bed storage utilizes the often-wasted space beneath the bed. Drawers, boxes, or even a trundle bed with storage can keep clothes, shoes, and other belongings neatly tucked away and out of sight.
Estimated Cost: The price for under-bed storage solutions can vary widely, from simple plastic containers for around $50 to custom-built drawers integrated into the bed frame for up to $500.
- Measure the clearance under the bed to ensure you choose storage containers or drawers that fit properly.
- Opt for storage with wheels or handles to make it easy to access the contents.
- Use dividers or organizers within the drawers or containers to keep items sorted and prevent them from shifting around.
7. Corner Wardrobes
How It Saves Space: Corner wardrobes fit snugly into the corner of a room, which is a space often left unused. By occupying this underutilized area, corner wardrobes provide ample storage without protruding into the main floor space of the bedroom.
Estimated Cost: Corner wardrobes can range in price from $200 for basic models to $1,000 for more elaborate, custom-designed units.
- Choose a wardrobe with a mix of hanging space, drawers, and shelves to accommodate different types of clothing and accessories.
- Opt for a design with doors that suit the bedroom’s layout; sliding doors can save more space than hinged doors.
- Consider mirrored doors to make the room appear larger and eliminate the need for a separate mirror.
8. Over-the-Door Organizers
How It Saves Space: Over-the-door organizers are a simple and efficient way to add storage without taking up any floor or shelf space. They can hold a variety of items, such as shoes, accessories, or toiletries, keeping them accessible yet out of the way.
Estimated Cost: These organizers are very cost-effective, with prices typically ranging from $10 to $50.
- Select an organizer with sturdy hooks that fit securely over the door to ensure it doesn’t swing or slip off.
- Look for organizers with deep pockets or adjustable compartments to fit a range of items.
- To prevent door damage, choose an organizer with soft backing material or add felt pads to the hooks.
9. Stackable Chairs and Tables
How It Saves Space: Stackable chairs and tables are perfect for shared bedrooms that need to serve as multifunctional spaces. When you need the floor space, simply stack and store the chairs and tables out of the way.
Estimated Cost: Depending on the material and design, a set of stackable chairs and tables can cost between $100 and $500.
- Ensure that the chairs and tables are designed to stack safely and securely to avoid any accidents.
- Consider lightweight materials like plastic or metal for easy lifting and stacking.
- When not in use, store the stacked furniture in a closet or corner to keep the room open and clutter-free.
10. Modular Storage Units
How It Saves Space: Modular storage units are highly versatile and can be stacked or arranged to fit the unique layout of a small shared bedroom. They can serve as bookshelves, room dividers, and even makeshift wardrobes, providing a customizable solution that adapts to changing storage needs.
Estimated Cost: Prices for modular storage units can vary widely, starting at around $100 for basic cubes and reaching up to $1,000 for more extensive, bespoke systems.
- Plan your layout before purchasing to ensure the units will fit the space and provide the type of storage required.
- Look for units that can be easily reconfigured, allowing the storage system to grow and change with your needs.
- Consider the weight capacity of each module to avoid overloading and potential damage.
When it comes to small shared bedrooms, every square inch is valuable. With the right furniture choices, you can maximize your available space, creating a room that is both functional and comfortable. From Murphy beds to modular storage units, the options are plentiful and can cater to a variety of styles and budgets.
Remember that space-saving furniture often serves multiple purposes, so it’s important to consider the versatility and functionality of each piece. By investing in furniture that not only saves space but also enhances the usability of the room, you can make a small shared bedroom feel bigger and more inviting.
Whether you’re dealing with a dorm room, a kids’ room, or a guest room, these 10 space-saving furniture ideas can help you make the most of your living space. With a little creativity and the right selections, you can transform a cramped bedroom into a cozy, organized haven that meets all your needs.
Let Us Know How We’re Doing!
Did this expertly prepared resource answer your question?
Do you have another question about home maintenance, home improvement projects, home appliance repair, or something else?